Tahuwhakatiki

The fully carved wharenui ‘Rongomainohorangi’ (aka ‘Romainnohorangi’) commemorates a renowned Mataatua ancestor and the whare manaaki (hall) commemorates his wife ‘Tuwairua’ also an ancestor of note who belonged to Ngati Pukenga. 
The marae was established in 1911 on land donated by the 19th Century Nga Potiki leader Eruera Te Tauhou. 
The whakairo were produced at the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute, Whakarewarewa in classic Te Arawa style under the direction of Master carver Hoani Taiapa. The two pieces on the mahau are more recent and based on whakairo from the wharenui ‘Tamapahore’ carved by Master carver Meihana Tawakura of Nga Potiki / Ngati Awa in 1896.
 

Mangatawa

Opened in 1962 the wharenui is named to commemorate the eponymous ancestor Tamapahore, who with his elder brothers Tamaururoa, Tamapinaki and Werapinaki were the off-spring of Rongomainohorangi and Tuwairua. Mangatawa marae serves as an important cultural centre for our Ngati Kaahu and Ngati Tahuora whanau. Nga Tuahine is the name of the whare manaaki (large functions hall).